Friday, June 29, 2012

Champion Choices

In response to various requests and emails, below is the text of my talk to our Elementary School Graduates from June 2012.

My young friends. Tonight you graduate.

I am happy for you; but even more so proud of you. It is safe to say that our parish elementary school is a place, besides your own home, where you grew, you had guidance given and hopefully you developed gratitude. Tonight in addition to your parents, your teachers and school staff members, your brothers or sisters, friends or relatives, grandparents or uncles and aunts; I hope you will take a moment to thank almighty God for tonight. You didn’t arrive here alone; make sure you thank He who is the source of all we do, and all we are to be grateful for. Say thank you to Almighty God - and worship Him on Sunday - for you did not get here because of you - you got here because of HIM

A few weeks ago one of you were walking our hallways and I asked you how many days til Graduation. You knew it - right down to the minute and the second. You spoke of what you’d be wearing, who would be there, how many dances are already pre booked for tonight’s social, and the fun you hope to have all summer long.

Then came the line - “Father, graduation night is my night - my night to be a CHAMPION!”.

To be a Champion!

I can think of no greater wish I have for you - all of you than that - to be Champions!

Your name need not be Ronaldo in order for that to happen - although being Portuguese will help the odds of it happening - but being a Champion is actually a pretty simple determination - to be a Champion you need only to decide that from the second you receive the diploma you will tonight until the day the Lord call you home - that the inclincation WILL BE to do only one thing and do it well - THAT YOU WILL MAKE CHAMPION CHOICES !!!

Champion Choices !

★ Champion Choices are about putting faith ahead of pleasing friends
★ Champion Choices are about putting family ahead of personal fame
★ Champion Choices are about having a dignity of self which says no substance in a smoke pit will take away my goodness or sense of self
★ Champion Choices are about focusing on a goal but not letting that goal take up the focus of your life to the point that faith has no room.
★ Champion Choices are about respecting another person not as an object on a screen, a virtual toy to be made fun of, a put down in a story, or an object to be used for pleasure

Champion choices are about not begging for bronze, or even settling for silver but rather going for gold in your relationships, your commitments, your school work, your family life and in your word to those who matter most!

To be a Champion!

I can think of no greater wish I have for you - all of you than that - to be Champions!

And my wish for you - my true hope for you - my heart felt desire and earnest daily prayer for you really is that you will be a champion - but that can only happen if every day you ask yourself - is this a Champion Choice ??

★As you are faced with the pressure or temptation
★As you are faced with that acceptance or denial
★ As you are faced with that step forward or backward

Ask yourself - is this a Champion Choice ??

To be a Champion!

I can think of no greater wish I have for you - all of you than that - to be Champions!

Now my friends - it is up to you - You will leave the doors of our school no longer to be known as a student here - but as a graduate - I don’t ask you to make us proud - you have done that already - but make your self proud -Be a Champion!

I am very proud of you ! God Bless you and keep in touch