Sunday, June 2, 2013

Corpus Christi Sunday - The Blueprints of God's Vision - Step 3 - Be Molded by Him

Today is Corpus Christi Sunday and we conclude our series of reflections called “Blueprints for a Bigger Vision.” A Vision is a picture of the future which produces passion. God has a blueprint, a vision for you and me! His vision for us in beyond what we can imagine, understand, undertake - at least without His guidance.

Two weeks ago we looked at “Where to Start?”, and determined that we need to be people who are looking for ways to understand the language of God. God is speaking to us - like He spoke to the Apostles and Disciples in the Upper Room, and helping us to expand our language and understanding of what His Vision for Us is. Last week we reflected on “The Characteristics of a Godly Vision” that God’s plan requires trust and a Willingness to be Lead and that It Gives Him Glory. Today we look at how to be a people committed to “Overcoming Obstacles”.

I attended Catholic School. I was taught by some wonderful religious Sisters and lay teachers, and had some impactful experiences of being taught about the faith and about Jesus, but as I look back at it now, I was not told how to actually meet Jesus. The excellent teachers taught me the catechism very well, and when Monsignor came into the room to test us, we knew the answers very clearly, but I am not sure, again as I look back, if I understood what I was saying. In my years of high school I struggled at Mass because I wanted to be introduced - evangelized - and told about Jesus, but the celebration of Mass presupposed I knew all about Him already. I wanted to understand how He impacted my life and how His story spoke to what I was going through in life. I wanted His friendship, but I only knew where He was not who He was, and in the impatience of my youth, I’m not sure I was willing to give Him the time to introduce Himself.

The first thing we must do to overcome obstacles, is we must be willing to Meet Jesus and to Stay with Him.

To follow Him, we must be willing to meet Him and to stay a while. This takes the investment of time - in Adoration, in Prayer of Thanksgiving, in a conversation of Petition. It takes courage - a courage to not take a short cut, but walk the whole way. It takes work - St Ignatius calls them the Spiritual Exercises for a reason -but it’s a worthwhile work which introduces someone to us - in a friendship - and pulls back the curtain of doubt to reveal not a series of rules, but the Source of all answers, and even more so, all Hope.

Pope Benedict XVI's 2005 encyclical letter "Deus Caritas Est" (God is Love), and sums up beautifully "Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.”  Do you know Him or About Him? Have you met Him or heard of Him? Have you stayed with Him? Have you made an ethical choice as a Christian to follow Him or have you met the Person and decided to love Him ?

• This is where Eucharistic Adoration is such a blessing.
• This is how meeting in a small group of individuals, couples, men, women to discuss the Sunday scriptures and how they apply to your vocation or state of life is so enriching.

We have both of them in the parish - if you are not part of that - come see me for details.

Second, step in Overcoming Obstacles as we seek to Follow God’s Vision - is we must be Molded by Jesus. Nothing can be molded unless it is in the hand of the one doing the molding. Is our life in His hands? Are we willing to let Him take control?  This requires surrender and will demand sacrifice. But its so worth it!

This week I spent a full day at St Benedicts Secondary School doing visits with various classes. Here is the question - aren’t you lonely - don’t you wish you had a wife and kids - I replied - “I have lots of wives and lots of kids” - their eyes popped open wide ! I am a part of every family in this parish - I rejoice when you do, cry when you do, I watch your kids grow up - this year I gave Holy Communion to children that I held as infants, and have watched teens I baptized be confirmed and young adults I welcomed into the faith in the RCIA be married. I love the priesthood, and my choice of this vocational life, and I would not trade it with anyone ever ! I love being your Pastor!

The video of my priestly ordination shows a remarkable thing that I did not realize. In the priestly ordination ceremony the priest lays down before the altar during the litany of saints just before the Bishop imposes his hands on you. During that rite - I am laying in the centre of the Cathedral sanctuary and all of a sudden just as the song is finished, I bounce up. I remember - the litany was done - the prayer had been said - the Bishop was waiting to impose his hands and inside I said “ let’s go!” and I guess it showed. I wanted to be molded - surrender, sacrifice, obstacle aside - I wanted to be molded !

To be molded by Him means that we begin to look like Christ, take on the image of Christ, become recognized as Him by others. If someone tells me I look like Brad Pitt, my ego might be fed for a fleeting few minutes, it would also result in me questioning the person’s vision. But if someone tells me I look like Christ, that means my eternal life is being fed - and that is so much more important!

• Do people ever "mistake you" for Christ ? Do you want to be ?

Are you committed to this wonderful process of being a part of the Blueprints of His Vision for you - molded to look like Him; all the while with abundant joy and great anticipation becoming who He made you to be because you know Him.

• Get started in Prayer by learning His Language.
• Get Going on the Characteristics by Making Sure your Life is dedicated to His Glory.
• Get Molded by Him - and be determined that people will mistake you for Him