Monday, March 24, 2014

Sacrament of Reconciliation - An examination of conscience

Tomorrow evening - Tuesday March 25th at 7:00pm - our parish celebrates the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Some five priests will join us to offer this Sacrament not only in English, but Italian, French, Portuguese, and Polish. We pray that as we mark the Annunication of Our Lord, that our Blessed Mother will truly intercede and permit many to come and experience God's mercy and refreshment on Tuesday evening. 

A good examination of conscience can be a great help in making a new start in the life of faith.We use an examination of conscience to help call to mind our sins and failings during a period of quiet reflection before approaching the priest in Confession.

It's important for a good examination of conscience to be thorough. This will help you learn about things that you may not be aware of. It's also a chance to develop your conscience. 

To make an examination:
  • Set aside some quiet time for reflection.
  • Start by praying to the Holy Spirit, asking for help in making a good examination to prepare for Confession.
  • Read through the items on this list and honestly reflect on your behavior for each item.
  • If necessary, take this list or some brief notes (keep them private!) to Confession to help you remember things. 

First Commandment: I am the Lord your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.

  1. Have I treated people, events, or things as more important than God?

Second Commandment:You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

  1. Have my words, actively or passively, put down God, the Church, or people?

Third Commandment: Remember to keep holy the Lord’s Day.

  1. Do I go to Mass every Sunday (or Saturday Vigil) ? 
  2. Do I avoid, when possible, work that impedes worship to God, joy for the Lord’s Day, and proper relaxation of mind and body? 
  3. Do I look for ways to spend time with family or in service on Sunday?

Fourth Commandment: Honor your father and your mother.

  1. Do I show my parents due respect? 
  2. Do I seek to maintain good communication with my parents where possible? 
  3. Do I criticize them for lacking skills I think they should have?

Fifth & Eighth Commandments: You shall not kill & You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

  1. Have I harmed another through physical, verbal, or emotional means, including gossip or manipulation of any kind?
  2. Have I gossiped, told lies, or embellished stories at the expense of another?

Sixth & Ninth Commandments: You shall not commit adultery & You shall not covet your neighbor’s spouse.

  1. Have I respected the physical and sexual dignity of others and of myself?
  2. Have I honored my spouse with my full affection and exclusive love?

Seventh & Tenth Commandments: You shall not steal &You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.

  1. Have I taken or wasted time or resources that belonged to another?
  2. Am I content with my own means and needs, or do I compare myself to others unnecessarily?